The Institute for Security and Technology designs and advances solutions to the world’s toughest emerging security threats. We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit network based in the San Francisco Bay Area dedicated to solving critical international security challenges through better technology and policy. We are a close-knit team with an excellent remote workflow, and take pride in providing our employees with reliable mentorship and generous compensation and benefits for a nonprofit organization. We look forward to your application. For more information, visit www.securityandtechnology.org/about-ist.
Read IST’s Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging statement.
IST seeks a Communications Assistant to help execute our diverse array of products and broadcast our accomplishments to the public. Working closely with the Deputy Director for Strategic Communications, the Communications Assistant will use the latest communications channels and techniques to support IST’s storytelling, brand awareness and growth, social media engagement, and events. Commitment, passion for, and/or willingness to learn about ways that various national security and technology communities can come together to outpace emerging security challenges is a plus.
- Executing and growing IST’s presence on social media
- Producing unique long- and short-form visual reports and other products
- Producing live events via Zoom and organizing for occasional in-person convenings
- Assisting with IST’s email marketing and other contact databases
- Updating and editing IST’s website
- Executing successful report launches, including preparing publications, creating social media toolkits, and enhancing stakeholder engagement
- Assisting with media outreach and pitching
We recognize that not everyone may possess all of the below, but willingness to learn and grow with us by ‘jumping in the deep end’ and willing/able to take initiative is an expectation.
- Candidates should have 1-2 years of professional experience in a communications role, including digital and in-person event management.
- Fluency in social media platforms, strategy, and trends
- Technical skills: Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud applications; familiarity with WordPress or other major CMS; video production and editing experience
- Must be legally able to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Location: Remote in the United States (Preference for San Francisco Bay Area)
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please send your resume and a cover letter highlighting how your experience in the communications field would apply to this role to [email protected]. If available, please also attach your portfolio highlighting recent examples of your work in graphic design, website design, or other skills as a PDF or a link. Candidates invited to continue the application process will be asked to complete a short writing exercise to give us a sense of their skill set, and to give the candidate a sense of what they’d be working on.