The Institute for Security and Technology (IST), a growing national security and technology 501c3 Institute in the San Francisco Bay Area, is seeking a Deputy Director for Trust and Safety. We are a passionate, tight-knit team, excited about the challenges we are tackling — join us in the fight! Organized to assess and incubate solutions to wicked emerging security threats, IST embodies the ethos of “bias for action” in order to outpace some of the world’s toughest technology-driven security challenges. IST leads policy analysis, develops technology solutions, and convenes some of the best minds across the technology, national security, and civil society sectors.
IST is hiring a Deputy Director for Trust and Safety to design and lead the organization’s Applied Trust and Safety Initiative, a new effort to identify the essential tools, policies, and communities to help organizations manage their digital futures. The Deputy Director will work closely with the Chief Strategy Officer and the Vice President for Research and Analysis to set the Initiative’s strategy and scope. The Deputy Director is a thought leader in IST’s Trust and Safety work, with internal and external facing responsibilities, including building and maintaining strong relationships with technologists, policymakers, researchers, funders, and other key IST and project stakeholders. The Deputy Director will represent IST at relevant IST-hosted events, conferences, professional associations, and other venues.
- The Deputy Director’s primary day-to-day responsibility is to develop and manage projects and associated elements of her or his program portfolio. These can include convening stakeholder groups to identify and advance solutions to selected topics; hosting public and private webinars to build communities and raise awareness; and organizing large public convenings such as the Ransomware Task Force first anniversary event.
- As the project manager, the Deputy Director structures and leads teams to deliver outstanding products, events, and ideas. Working with other key staff across IST, the Deputy Directors will manage multiple independent streams of work, including to establish and maintain budgets; set communications strategies; and be responsible for monitoring progress toward project completion.
- Deputy Director responsibilities may periodically include cross-cutting duties outside specific projects. IST may change a Deputy Director’s duties from time to time at its discretion, or assign a Deputy Director additional duties as needed.
- Candidates should have at least 4-5 years’ managerial and/or leadership experience in platform or provider Trust and Safety functions, other technology sector, or a related policy field, including experience running major projects and leading teams.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Graduate work preferred).
- Must be legally able to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Location: Remote in the United States (Preference for San Francisco Bay Area).
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please send your resume and a cover letter highlighting your experience and ideas for the unique role IST can fill in the Trust and Safety field to [email protected]. Please put “Deputy Director for Trust and Safety” in the subject line.