The Institute for Security and Technology (IST) seeks a Director of Development to support the organization’s expanding fundraising program. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development serves as an integral member of the IST team. This position will help sustain current support and steward new relationships to build IST’s impact, visibility, and financial resources. This role will involve maintaining the organization’s donor database, among the usual full range of development duties for a fast growing nonprofit think tank. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, highly detail-oriented, familiar with the relative substantive fields of technology and national security, and can manage multiple projects at once. We are a San Francisco-based organization, distributed virtually across the country.
- Collaborate with the IST leadership team and board of directors to implement the current year IST development plan, while developing out-year plans.
- Manage fundraising campaigns, initiatives, and special events.
- Generate development materials such as grant proposals and case statements.
- Use sales and spending cycles to guide fundraising campaign decisions.
- Work with IST staff and leadership to identify, research, and develop strategies for new donor partnerships.
- Identify, build, and maintain positive relationships with individual donors, corporate and foundation partners, and key stakeholders.
- Assist with moves management process to aid in increased engagement with donors.
- Maintain relationships with existing sponsors, including through managing the donor deliverable requirements process.
- Support the implementation of ongoing fundraising efforts including end-of-year giving, fundraising/friend-raising events, grant writing and reporting, and other specific requests for funding.
- Continue to build out the organization’s donor database by creating accurate and thorough constituent records, including individuals and organizations
- Establish and execute policies and best practices to maintain the integrity of the database.
- Perform the day-to-day operations of database management, including updates to donor accounts, gift/pledge processing, gift/pledge acknowledgements, and relationship mapping.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of development efforts.
- Manage the prospects pipeline, including forecasting, scheduling, and task management.
- Assist in writing/updating acknowledgment and thank you letters, pledge reminder copy, and other development communications, as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in non-profit or public agency management.
- Proven work experience as a Development Director or similar role.
- Superb written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills to speak with donors, partners, and other stakeholders across the organization.
- Work with fundraising software and tools to track progress throughout the year / experience in CRM/database management. Experience in Hubspot preferred.
- Good organizational and time management skills to help keep projects on track.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects of varying size, scale, and importance with competing deadlines.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of internal and external constituents.
- Excellent work ethic, positive attitude, flexibility, and willingness to perform a variety of work assignments.
- Must be able to handle confidential information, prioritize responsibilities, meet deadlines, and work independently.
- High attention to detail with desire to contribute to the overall success of the organization.
- Estimated salary: $90,000 – $125,000 annually
This compensation and benefits information is based on IST’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay, exact job title and role will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How to Apply
Email [email protected] with “Director of Development Application” as the subject line. Please introduce yourself briefly in the email body, and mention how this position at IST would compliment your professional trajectory. Please include your resume/CV as a PDF attachment.